
"A picture is worth a thousand words is a proverb that refers to the idea that complex stories can be described with just a single still image, or that an image may be more influential than a substantial amount of text. It also aptly characterizes the goals of visualization where large amounts of data must be absorbed quickly."
For my final project I am presenting what is and how to use Flickr.com and Photobucket.com. Both are media-sharing and hosting sites that allows users to upload photos and videos. Among other things the users can create profiles and portfolios, edit photos, remix videos and blog about your creations.
After reviewing both sites I gathered my own list of some examples of how these sites can be incorporated into the curriculum:
- nArt/Photography: :Create a collage using only images no text to illustrate a self-reflection.
- nSocial Studies: : creating a slideshow on a recent trip. Use the map feature.Using pictures from around the world illustrate the day in-life of a kid your age from 3 other countries.
- nEnglish: : using the photo library or your own images pick a theme (ie- fishing) and create a story about what you see in the pictures individually and collectively.Using pictures illustrate your favorite book.
- nScience:: Using the photo library or your own images illustrate the 4 seasons, planets, 5 senses.
I think the biggest thing I have learned is that I have options. Programs and sources like Photobucket and Flickr exist. There are so many cool features to both programs that can be explored, like uploading and sending pictures from your camera phone. Most kids may not have a digital camera but I would bet the majority have a cell phone with a camera!
Next time around I would probably upgrade the service to get the full benefit of the programs.And I may explore what other programs are out there. While these programs were terrific, they were a little cumbersome when it came to downloading all the moving parts (too many). I think it has to be quicker and easier, particularly for an elementary student.
All in all, it was a great experience and in the end I am more aware today than I was yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment