Thursday, July 10, 2008

Evaluating Websites

ok, I think I have a tendency to over complicate things. For my web site evaluation assignment I was getting too caught up in technicalities. But at the end of the day the most important thing I think I learned is to question web sites and not assume that a web site is accurate. I will now always consider the source - literally I will be checking for the sources, author, dates, validity, bias, oh so many things. My eyes are open and I will no longer assume a site is valid just because it is open in front of me.

We had to evaluate 3 sites based on a ton of criteria. I chose the following sites:

Folktales Writer’s Workshop

http://teacher.scholastic.com/writewit/mff/folktalewshop_index.htm

Enter the world of folktales. The site displays detailed steps in the writing process of folktales to include: an explanation of a folktale and offers two to read and two to listen to, the six steps of the brainstorming process, writing and revising tips and an online publishing option. Students are also able to read other students’ (ages five to 15) published work for inspiration. Once students publish their work, there is a section entitled “Author’s Comments” in which students are given positive feedback on their work from Alma and Rafe. Alma Flor Ada and Rafe Martin are folktale writers who display their stories on this site for students to read prior to writing to gain an understanding of the folktale.

A Tale to Tell
http://schoolweb.missouri.edu/nixa.k12.mo.us/sullivan/tales/index.htm

A Tale to Tell by Marcia Sullivan is a webquest for grades 3-5. This WebQuest contains eight elements that include the Home, Introduction, Task, Process, Evaluation, Conclusion, Credits and Teacher Page. This webquest activity divides the class into groups of 4 students. The students are given a riddle to review. Then the students choose and read a Folk Tale from the numerous tales posted on four sites. Each of the folktales explores cultures from around the world. Students are then instructed to print out a chart for recording the similarities/differences and compare/contrast for each of the stories read. Using a similar style, students are asked to write a rough draft on the graphic organizer they print out and share with other group members for peer editing.

Natural Wonders of the World.
http://www.field-guides.com/sci/natwon/index.htm

A virtual field trip to the Natural Wonders of the World. Along the way, students learn about the natural formations referred to as the "Natural Wonders of the World", and how and where they formed, geography and geology and students are taken to some of the best resources available on the Web where they can research and retrieve all kinds of data about these naturally occurring wonders of nature. The home page of the virtual trip lists approximately 40 terms to learn a great way to encourage students to seek and explore new vocabulary.

Check them out when you have a moment!



No comments: